Protect Your Pets from Fleas, Ticks
and Heartworm this Season
learn more

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol sweetener that has become increasingly popular in dental products and chewing gum over the past few years. It's loved for human consumption because of its low glycemic index and because it is not an "artificial" sweetener.

Xylitol Dangerous for PetsRecently, peanut butter and other nut butter companies have begun to add this ingredient to their products. The three brands that currently have xylitol in them are Nuts 'n More, Krush Nutrition and P-28 Foods, but there is concern that the ingredient's use in foods may become more widespread.

Xylitol is extremely dangerous to dogs, so please check the label before making treats for your pooch or indulging them in your breakfast favorite. Just 2 ounces of a product sweetened with xylitol is enough to be a toxic dose for a 25-pound dog!

Experts warn that pet owners should always check food labels before feeding something to their pet, especially if the food is marked as "sugar free" or "no sugar added" as these goods may also have harmful effects on your pet.

Please feel free to contact us at (603) 926-5500 with any questions or if you are concerned that your pet may have ingested xylitol.